A sales manager is the one who manages the coordination among sales operations and implements sales techniques that make a business grow consistently with improved sales targets. Therefore, effective sales management along with appropriate sales techniques is essential for a Business to flourish.
Sales are said to be in charge of developing new business opportunities and bringing in new revenue to the business. In the earlier days of marketing, sales were way more different than today. Though it gradually changed with the advancement of time and technologies yet, there is a vast gap when the sales techniques are compared then and now:
- Continuous Website Development – Businesses had “set it and forget it” type of website, i.e., there was no serious concern for their respective sites, the feedbacks, and activities on the site which lead to no new addition of customers to the sales pipeline and gradually concluded to a sales loss.
- Lead Generation – Leads generation was earlier done by Cold calling, Chamber events, and trade shows. The only techniques to drum up new potential customers. People who visit these websites were the one, interested for some reasons and ignoring them was a direct loss, leading to a weak sales funnel.
- Prospect Intelligence – This being a major drawback as the sales techniques failed to gather contextual information about their respective lead regarding their social involvement, their interests for web pages, etc.
With the advancement of the digital world, the sales trend in the market changed, making sales management more effective and better. The sales manager must be updated with the trending sales techniques to make their sales team perform well and also for an overall sales profit to the business.
Here are the five must essentials for a sales manager to follow this year and make a difference:-
Being on the first is the training of the sales team to drive and enhance the team sales performance. The goal of training is to make each sales rep improve their performance and reach their real potential. It’s about developing your “A” salespeople to become “A+” and developing your “B” salespeople to become “An’ accordingly.”
- Business Acumen Business
Acumen is termed as the critical business thinking that helps to achieve your sales objectives. Sales managers should understand complex business issues and support their sales reps view their business strategically. Sales managers should teach their salespeople how to make decisions, plan better, and allocate their resources based on customer and market requirement.
- Performance Management
Performance management is analyzing overall business performance, managing non-performing sales reps and managing your boss. If performance issues go unnoticed, sales and team morale can be affected negatively. Therefore, the sales manager must continually raise the graph on performance.
- Use E-Learning to Educate
Salespeople need to understand product details to boost their confidence when selling, especially recruits. With sufficient product training, they can identify specific client issues and understand products’ details well enough to position them as the perfect solution. E-learning allows sales teams to brush up on their product knowledge on the go without any hindrance to their daily tasks.
- Keep Training short, but Consistent With Micro-Learning
Overtraining can make salespeople’s lose their natural talent and also push technique over their current ability. Via micro learnings, one can send out reminders via email or encouragements via smartphone. Micro education will, therefore, help them to understand and retain the knowledge well, making them a better sales rep.
Sales managers who master these five essential skills will always be on the podium and will have the best top performing team. In this year, every sales manager must adapt these techniques to get ahead of the crowd making 2018 a better sales year for their business.
You may also like to Read:
From accountant to business partner: 7 ways you can meet (and exceed) client expectations